Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Note to self

Just a couple of reminders to myself:

1. Don't cut bangs again. It just really never works out. You keep trying and maybe it looks ok once or twice, but really it is just more of a hassle than anything. You don't have the right hair type to have it look good. Just go with large forehead look.

2. Speak up when some random person says something stupid to you or your friends. Don't just be nice and laugh it off. They need to be told or they will keep saying those rude/dumb things to other people. They will never learn if you don't tell them.

Background: We were with some friends today at the Springs Preserve. It was great! We were having fun and enjoying the day. It is a fun place to go. We were outside for a bit, then inside, and back outside to play some more. The kids seemed to really like it. We got to one area and the kids were all wandering around, checking things out.

Me and the moms were standing together talking and keeping our eyes on the kids. One of my friends is expecting in about a month or so. She looks fantastic! She is thin and has only a baby belly. A man (an OLD man- hey he was rude to us, I am going to call him old!) who works there came up to her and said, "Gees, you got 2 in there?" In no way does she look like she is having twins! It took me back to when I was pregnant and people asked me that. It is just so rude! I should have stepped in right then and there and told him that he needed to apologize to her and that he should never ever ask a woman if she is having twins, whether she is or not. Instead, my nice friend and I just humored him and sheepishly laughed it off and tried to get away from him.

Then he kept telling me that I looked mad and angry and that I needed to smile more. I'm sorry if I look mad or angry, but I am not going to walk around with a cheesy grin on my face ALL THE TIME! And when my children are wandering around and I am trying to stay focused and pay attention to where they are, I am probably looking that way. Focused. Not grinning with my head in the clouds, mindless of what my children are doing.

Then, in going 3 for 3, the man then proceeded to tell me and another of the moms an inappropriate joke that is degrading to women. And when we did not laugh at it, he assumed we did not "get it". We did not laugh because IT WAS NOT FUNNY! Of course, I did not say anything and was again, trying to get away. Instead, I should have at least said something clever like...I don't even have anything now. I guess I was just too shocked at how idiotic this man was.

In between all of this, he threw out a couple of expletives at his shock of the size of Thomas for only being 6 months old. I sort of wish I had gotten his name and said something to the front office. I think places like this should know if they have staff who are offending the patrons.

But what did I do after all of this? Let it bother me, typed up a post, and hopefully vowing that the next time something like this happens, I will be able to stand up and politely and eloquently put him in his place!

3 comments:

The Price Fam said...

Where is the rewind or do over button when we need it? I totally hear ya - this is my world too! (it's not that ironic - we're sisters) We were raised to be polite and respectful of our "elders" so it is hard to say what we need to say when it is going to be disrespectful and put that .... man in his ....place! Thank goodness for blogs - the universal vent fest! I hope it helped get it off your chest so you can go on with the other uplifting parts of your day (butt wiping, refereeing fights, etc j/k!)

Jessieksj said...

Ditto- I was thinking after we left I should have said something. SOOO annoying.

Danielle said...

Old people can be so rude. They seem to think that they can get away with things just because we are supposed to respect our elders. You cut bangs? It took me about two weeks to really fiqure out how to style them. I thought that I had made a huge mistake as well. I'm sure they look great!!