There are many things in our lives that have become too much. Too much TV. Too much (many) toys. Too much food. Too much clutter. Too much stuff. Too much... it's all too much.
Today I am talking about too much of another thing.
Too much... sleep deprivation.
In the past few weeks we have been battling some illnesses in our house. It started with me getting shingles. I have NO idea how I got it and it is totally weird. It is like adult chicken pox but all the spots are concentrated in one area. It itches and hurts and is quite annoying. It has cleared up and I feel better from that but lost some good hours of sleep due to discomfort.
Then Makenna battled a nasty raspy cough for the longest time. Then Thomas had the same thing and luckily both have gotten over it without trips to the doctor.
And now.
You know how I said shingles is the adult form of chicken pox. Well, just about everyone in our house is immune to it. Either had it in youth or had the vaccine.
Almost everyone.
Yep, you guessed it. Thomas has full blown chicken pox. I probably gave it to him before I even knew what I had and it takes at least 2 weeks to incubate. Poor baby. I'm so sorry! Luckily, he really hasn't had a fever and he was just acting normally until late last night. Which brings me to the sleep deprivation.
It is starting to add up. Derek spent last Friday and Saturday away on a campout for scouts. Then of course his Sunday is filled with church responsibilities, meaning I never got my catch-up-on-my-lost-sleep nap. Then last night Thomas would not go to his own bed till well after 1:00 a.m. He just wanted me to hold him. Of course it then takes me some time to let go of my thoughts and finally go to sleep myself.
And back up at 7 am. Or more like 7:30 before I actually got up.
My eyes were still burning when I tried to open them. My head was fuzzy. My limbs heavy.
Got to get up, got to feed the baby, shower (since I didn't yesterday), got to get Makenna off to school. Oh yeah, I'm driving. Should I really be driving? Will I be able to focus and see clearly? Yes, I can. It' not that bad. Breakfast. Luckily I went and bought cereal last night and so at least I don't have to cook this morning. But why didn't I just get the other things I needed no matter how expensive they are at Vons? What can I possibly make for dinner that doesn't involve cheese and tortillas? Ok, drop the girls off, make a quick stop at the store with just Travis and Thomas, who will stay covered up in his baby seat.
Just get this one thing done. Get to the store. Travis won't put his sandal on- his foot hurts and he will not walk. Why am I trying? Get back in the car and go home. Frozen pizza will have to do-again.
Make it home. Thomas is fussy, wants to be held. We're going to try a bath, maybe that will feel good for him. Works a little, doesn't last long. Still fussy. Time to feed him again. I better eat, too, if I'm going to be able to keep feeding him all day. I'm tired. Sit down. Phone rings. Baby wakes. Up again. Eyes burn. Back aches.
I'm still tired.
There is hope. It looks like some of the pox are clearing up on his face and head. How long do they last? Hopefully not for too long.
Here's hoping Thomas will be able to sleep tonight, and we can all get good rest.
I love my family and being a mother and I love feeling rested. I can have both, right?
(I'm not writing this to gain pity, just as a record of events in our lives right now! And, bloggers, keep posting, as it is our only window to the outside world for a while!:)
Standing as A Witness
7 years ago




11 comments:
It's amazing how sleep deprivation can completely cripple you! Thanks for posting this - I'm glad I'm not the only one who is barely keeping it together some days! I hope you all are back to normal soon. Poor little Thomas!
OOOOOOh my I know you don't want pity but how could you not. It's soooooo awful when the little ones get sick and you on top of it all. I hope you all get feeling better. We will be sleep deprived with you soon your not alone ;)
Laura, all you need is a maid, cook, and nanny!! get on that and you will be set!!!! (and let me know if you find any of those)
OH NO!! Don't worry, Skye will still think Tank is cute, even if he scratches off a few of the pox and leaves manly scars behind.
I wish I could help! PBS is a good babysitter in a pinch...
:)
phew! too much? i understand that toooo well! hope things are looking up for you. blogging can do that for me... communicating those feelings you know. :)
So sad for baby Thomas! I don't think it is right that moms get sick. Moms do not have the time or the energy to do what needs to be done when you are sick. I hope you are all on the mend!
Laura, you didn't ask for it, but you currently have all my pity. Hope everyone starts feeling better soon.
Sorry! The lack of sleep sounds the worst. But on a totally "sick" note... is Thomas still infectious? I totally want to bring my kids over and get it out of the way... is that just too creepy for you? I hope everyone's getting better!
Wow... sick kids are really no fun, but being sick right along with them is even worse. I know you didn't write to get sympathy... but any mom that's been sick with sick kids can relate and offer their deepest sympathies. I hope you guys are feeling better by now.
I had no idea!! (what a great sister/blogger I am!) I am so sorry you are going through this! I should be on the plane tomorrow to come take care of you! I hope Thomas is almost done with the pox. I'll call tomorrow...love you and praying for you!
Oh you poor thing! And poor Thomas. I hope you are all feeling better and well-rested soon.
Post a Comment